Guerrilla Marketing Goes Green: Winning Strategies to Improve Your Profits and Your Planet is a MUST READ. Even if you are not a marketer, there is beneficial information that will help you do whatever you do better. Also, although it specifically explains how to make more money and be successful, it explains how to do this in a way where everyone and everything benefits.
For those of you who have followed me, you know my main tenet is Selfish, Selfless, Synergy or the idea of paneugenesis which means creating all good (-pan = all, -eu = good, -genesis = creating). In more formal terms the way to practice paneugenesis is to generate comprehensive improvements by creating interactions so everyone and everything benefits, which is selfish, selfless, synergy. If you are interested, the video below explains the concept of Paneugenesis or Selfish, Selfless, Synergy as well as this, this, this, this, this, this, and many more posts.
Gorilla Marketing Goes Green was a great book because I learned specifically how others already have and how can going forward create interactions so everyone and everything benefits. The book also outlines how and why those interactions led to their success. The video below promotes the ideas in their book.
From my perspective their book also uses the steps I have suggest to practice paneugenesis in several posts (here, here, here):
1. Operationalize an Idealized Outcome
2. Discover Precursors
3. Optimize the Process
4. Plot Progress
Although they did not use these terms, here is how I saw them using those 4 steps.
- Operationalize an Idealized Outcome. Instead of doing it first, they describe the idealized outcomes created using many examples in their chapter 19 and in many stories throughout the book. In Chapter 19, the successful stories of the amazing environmentalists Amory Lovins and John Todd are described. Earlier I highlighted the presentations by Amory Lovins from the UNC Sustainability Conference I attended here and the related conference presentations here.
- Discover Precursors. Throughout the book they outline and discuss the necessary precursors to create idealized outcomes. The most consistent precursors they repeatedly discuss are the advantages of doing right thing by using the Magic Triangle of Quality, Integrity and Honesty and the need to provide value to others.
- Optimize the Process. They outline how to optimize the process by describing ways to help others that are not adversarial. They also discuss how it is necessary to enlarge the pie using an abundance paradigm rather than fight for a share of the pie by working from a scarcity paradigm. They also outline how to build alliances and partnerships from which both parties benefit.
- Plot Progress. The way they talk about progress is increased sales and satisfaction from doing the right thing and helping others and the planet succeed. An important way they emphasize to plot progress is being able to look in the mirror and know you are doing good for others and the world.
Overall, it is a great book and an important and valuable read for anybody who wants to make a positive impact. The book provides ideas about Selfish, Selfless, Synergy and how to generate comprehensive improvements by creating interactions so everyone and everything benefits. I look forward to hearing about your successes!
**Special Note: In my purchase of the book I had the opportunity to personally interact with Shel Horowitz. This interaction confirmed to me he doesn’t just write about how to conduct business in a good way, it is how he conducts business. Thank you Shel!
Craig Becker, PhD
2 thoughts on “Guerrilla Marketing Promotes Selfish, Selfless, Synergy”