Once again I am referring to some things learned in Thomas Friedman’s new book, “Thank You for Being Late: An Optimists Guide to Thriving in the Age of Accelerations”. An interesting part relates to how we have just finished a difficult political season where many are left unsatisfied. Thomas Friedman suggests we are now in the Age of Accelerations, where everything is moving so fast it is hard if not impossible to keep up. He says three large forces, technology, globalization, and Mother Nature (climate change) are accelerating all at once. He suggest that because all is moving so fast and that we all have trouble keeping up, many want leaders to slow things down. This he suggests is why many extreme views are getting traction. He explains to keep our balance we need dynamic stability which is only possible if we keep learning to keep pace.
To meet this need he suggests we need a political party that is based on Mother Nature or one that mimics Mother Nature’s killer applications. Without question, nature is incredible. You can see multiple posts where I discuss this, including Jane Benyus’s work on Biomimicry at Parallel NOT Linear Means Create Positive AND Prevent Negative, and McKibbin thoughts on “The Pope and the Planet”, Today’s Pascal’s Wager, One We Must Make!, Better Has to be Better, We are Just Talking Apes and more.
With regard to the new Political party based on Mother Nature, Friedman suggests it would have this slogan, “Making the Future work for Everybody” and a platform with these agenda items that would mimic Mother Nature’s Killer App’s:
- Have single payer universal health care funded by a alue added tax VAT consumption
- Extend Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit
- Would pair free trade agreements
- All post secondary education would be tax deductible so would continually learn which means more teachers, more learners and economic growth. Also Universities would move to a 3 year program as in Israel and Europe – better for student debt
- Roll back costly bankruptcy reform because changes have made it hard to declare bankruptcy and start again
- Build a High wall and have a big gate for immigration so feel safe inside but also can bring in lots of good people and are welcoming
- Tax incentives for Internet development because need to stay current and in global flows
- Borrow 50 million at low current rates to upgrade ports, airports and grids – and this would also boost employment because it will jobs
- Ban semi-automatic and other military style guns like Austraila to limit gun violence and buyback those guns that are in circulation
- Have a tax reform that eliminates corporate income tax so America has the lowest rate, now highest, because this will bring all money back from overseas. To replace that revenue use taxes on financial trades and bullets and also end lower dividend and capital gains tax rate – so this is taxed the same as other income
- These changes will be made because we need to use taxes to incentivize and grow what we want: investment, work, and hiring and shrink what we don’t want carbon emissions, tax avoidance, overregulation, climate change, gun violence – which these changes will do
- Put warning labels on all sugary drinks, candies and high sugar fast foods
- Appoint an independent commission to review Dodd-Frank and Sarbanes Oxley accounting regulations for reforms to assure not hurting entrepreneurship
- Create Regular Improvement Commission as proposed by Progressive Policy Institute in May 2013 policy paper to improve and or remove regulations
- Like England, limit political campaign spending and time for national campaigns to a few months
- End gerrymandering and make voting better
- Elevate the Peace Corps to that of defense of Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines and us Peace Corps as offense that helps others live and be better in their homeland
- Make progress on gender equality and family planning
- Have social technology innovation incentives such as a race to the topper states that retrain workers best
To me this is a great idea because Thomas Friedman has eloquently described how to design a political party that functions with the goal to generate all good by creating pervasive, reciprocal, selfish, selfless, synergistic interactions so everyone and everything benefits. Or as he says, a party with the of “Making the Future work for Everybody”.
I look forward to hearing about how we can all work toward these worthwhile goals and objectives.