I talk and post often about designing for MORE GOOD, not just a less bad. To enable this I use and require my students to use the Paneugenesis Process. As noted in many posts, including Less Bad ≠ More Good – We Must Create Good, Make 2020 Your Best Decade Yet… and many other posts, I describe the 4 step Panueugenesis Process this way:
Practice Paneugenesis using this 4 Step to Process
- Operationalize Desired Idealized Outcome
- Determine an Idealized outcome that is better or improved from what is possible or able to happen now
- Must incorporate Systems Thinking so the outcome benefits are on multiple levels without any seen harm to other levels
- Discover and Develop Necessary Precursors to make Desired Outcome Possible
- Research to discover what must come before idealized outcome, what must be true for desired outcome to occur
- Assess current process to discover and learn current processes used or must be created to manifest ideal outcomes
- These Precursors are goals that must be achieve before an Idealized Outcome can be realized.
- Optimize the Process to Develop Skills and abilities that make Precursors possible (this is Green Grass philosophy, its designing a process to help grass grow)
- Develop good practices (append existing or start new processes)
- Update unneeded, outdated or inappropriate actions to ones that created idealized vision,
- Focus on what causes more and more blades of grass to grow, and…
- Plot Progress to document, demonstrate, and celebrate Improvement
- Measure and document progress forward toward idealized outcome
- Plan and develop next steps to enable continual improvement
Experience has documented that hardest part is also the most important. This is step 1 which requires Creating and Operationalizing an Idealized Outcome. To operationalize means all parties understand the goals and aims.
People often avoid generating an idealized outcome and fall back on the default of noting problems that explain why things are not ideal. That is easier and most importantly, if improvement beyond the status quo is desired, doesn’t actually make things better. It can’t be better than the status quo because Prevention Can’t Work and Problems are Irrelevant!
I noted all this because Damon Gameau’s and his team appear to have created 2 films that Operationalize Idealized outcomes. These 2 movies are 2040 (I ordered and plan to watch)
And Regenerating Austraila. Right now information suggest this movie is not available in the US yet, but I am trying to get a copy. Please advise if you know how I can get a copy.
I encourage you to learn more about his work so you also can be inspired to use the Paneugenesis Process to generate and create idealized outcomes. I look forward to learning about how you generate comprehensive improvements by creating net-positive, pervasive, reciprocal, selfish, selfless, synergistic interactions so everyone and everything benefits.
Please share your thoughts and questions below.
Contact me: BeWellr@gmail.com